Topband: Polarisation and Power Coupling

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 17:43:54 -0500

At 03:37 PM 2/23/02 -0500, Tom Rauch wrote:
>How do we explain the results of VK3ZL and ZL3REX, and other
>VK's and ZL's over the years, who are neither over good soil nor
>near the ocean, and who also are south? Some of the biggest and
>most consistent signals over the years on 160 from VK and ZL
>have come from verticals, or antenna with significant vertical
>component.
>
>I honestly think it is more a matter of clutter and interaction near
>the antenna than "ionospheric antenna coupling" or ground
>conductivity.

For what it might be worth, I recall that ON4UN told me last year at Dayton
that the reason he uses elevated radials with his full-size 160m vertical,
even though he has an excellent buried ground screen, is in order to get
the radiation above structures in the immediate vicinity.  If I
misunderstood him, perhaps John will correct me (I think he lurks here).

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the World HF
Contest Station Database at
www.pvrc.org