[SECC] Re: Topband: Conditions on 160m last night

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 18:34:07 -0500

> Ken N4UK wrote:
>
> In the first night of the CQ SSB contest I have worked 28 different
> countries with the majority of them European. On the other hand, my
> qso totals overall are poor versus last year and ver! >su! >s others
> also in the contest. My new and improved 1/4wl vertical does not
> appear to be working well for USA contacts as I have spent lots of
> time CQing and CQing with not many takers from USA. Maybe conditions
> were making this happen?  I may need a low inverted Vee for closer in
> stuff...... >73, Ken, N4UK
>

> Hi Ken es all,
> Your signal is loud into Ga so the vertical should be fine. I believe
> the qso total may be off because you spent a lot of time CQing below
> 1843. I decided a few months ago to not work any USA stations using
> ssb below 43, nor any DX not listening up band.

Right you are John, I know of many other people who do the same.

Like you, and like them, I just simply refuse to work ANYONE I
hear below 1840 even if they move up the band later.

Let them go low in the band and CQ all they want, the rates and
scores will tell them all they need to know.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com