Topband: RE: Digimodes

Bill Gerhold Billg@warwick.net
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 03:09:48 +0000

Hi Tom,

Yes I agree with everything you have said.  While I am not
an avid Digital mode op, the few times I have tried it were
really not rewarding on 160 meters.  Lack of activity mostly
I would imagine.

And I agree with your statement (as I too have long suspected),
that many dedicated CW ops really do not know what the tones or
sounds are.  As to the widely published 1838khz freq., I knew
by reading this reflector that that was not a good freq. by
no means and avoided operating anywhere near there.  And yes,
I too wondered why such wide bandwidths are used with such
narrow modes.  I discovered (quite happily), that I can copy
a PSK, Hellschrieber signal with my 756pro at 50hz bandwidth
with solid copy.  All QRM gone.  I'm still waiting to make
a Hellschreiber contact across the Atlantic one of these
days.  73

K2WH