Topband: Beverage grounds

Donald Chester k4kyv@hotmail.com
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 04:15:03

I would like to hear from anyone with experience with the methods of
grounding beverages (ground rod, radials or both).  I started out with mine
using ground rods only.  Later, added seven 10' radials to each end,
connecting them to the existing ground rods.  I don't notice much, if any
difference, but the comparison is highly subjective since I didn't try
instant A/B comparisons with/without radials.  Just wonder if anyone has
tried this, and what were their observations.

My guess is that making the radials much longer the height of the beverage
wire would degrade performance by establishing "good ground" under the
beverage wire.  I  haven't yet found anything in any books on the subject of
radial length, nor in the archives of this group (which are so extensive
that I have not yet been able to examine them all).

BTW I tried W1WCR's idea of a ground lead under the beverage connecting the
two grounding points, and it seemed noisier with the gnd wire, so I removed
it.  Again, didn't go to the trouble to try A/B comparisons, so I can't say
that my observation was conclusive.

Don K4KYV