Topband: Conditions

Larry Molitor w7iuv@earthlink.net
Wed, 09 Jan 2002 15:02:46 +0000

Well, there seems to be life in the old band after all!

A35VK was in with a good signal this morning. This was the first Oceania
I've heard in a  month, except for KH6 in the SP and the first DX since the
SP. The last OC station heard was 5W0VK. His signal from A35 was much
better this morning than he ever was from 5W, peaking an honest 559 at
about 30 minutes before my sunrise, but was completely gone by 10 minutes
before sunup.

He seemed to be having trouble coping NA stations and was working 2 or 3
JA's to every NA. I could not hear even a single JA calling him, which I
thought was unusual.

I saw that the north pmap showed comparatively little aurora activity, but
don't have any idea how that would affect the paths involved this morning.

80 was the best to OC and the Pac Rim that I've heard in a long time as well.

73,

Larry - W7IUV