Topband: Conditions

George & Marijke Guerin gmguerin@voyager.net
Wed, 09 Jan 2002 22:20:19 +0000

Hi Larry, and fellow topbanders,
    I am glad conditions were good for Mountain and Pacific Time Zone areas.
    80 CW was flat and sounded sick this morning in Michigan.  160 was not
really open.  I only heard a couple of peeps of A35VK this morning.  W8UVZ
was calling with his phased array and may/may not have gotten a contact.
The signal was just too weak for a beverage with good pre-amp in a
residential neighborhood.
    Because the solar flux is so high, I have not heard an Asian station on
the band at all.  Yes, I could have copied one of the 5B4's if I had been on
at the right time one night.  But, by Christmas, I usually have a good
number of JA's in the log....not this winter!
    There have been only been a couple of good openings to Europe... like
December 26th & 28th 2001.  Not too bad on Dec. 17th, either when I worked a
east African.
    Guess maybe one of the Chicagoland guys guessed right when he put up a 6
meter beam instead of working on his receiving antennas for Topband
    73 and Happy New Year to all.
George        K8GG