Topband: Re: CQWW 160 CW-SSB Contests

Bill Tippett btippett@alum.mit.edu
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 13:07:47 +0000

G8OO wrote:
<It is my intention to enter both CQWW 160m contests in the next two month.

Alan, there are no easy answers to your questions but here are a few
facts to consider:

1.  1820, 1830, 1840 etc are terrible frequencies for anyone in North
America to hear you on CW.  Why?  Because they are image frequencies
for our MF Broadcast stations which transmit each 10 kHz.  Avoid these!

2.  The ARRL 160 Meter Bandplan recommends no SSB signals below 1843 kHz.
If you want to operate transceive, transmit on 1843 or above for NA.  If
you want to operate split, listen on 1843 or above (up to 2000 kHz for NA).

3.  If you have never operated these contests before, brace yourself for
a shock!  The band will be filled with S9+++ signals and the best advice
I have for you is to find the clearest frequency you can.  It's literally
every man for himself in this contest.

                                                73 & GL!

                                                Bill  W4ZV