Topband: FT-1000MP Key Clicks

k7ca@infowest.com k7ca@infowest.com
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 10:30:06 -0700

Hi,
  I just performed W8JI's FT1000MP key click modification on the
transmitter going to be used at N7JW in the CQ 160 cw contest
next week.  It worked amazingly well.  Before the mod, 1 KHz away
from a signal reading +20 on a Ten-Tec Omni 6+ with 250 Hz filter
the clix were S9.  After the mod they were S3!  The total bandwidth
read on the Omni before the mod for a signal less than S3 was 4.3
KHz.  After the mod it was only 1.5 KHz.  If the signal was on
continuously, not keyed, the bandwidth read 800 Hz.  This means
that the key clix are only adding plus/minus 300 Hz.  Of course a
stronger carrier will give stronger clix but I chose a level giving S9
clix at 1 KHz as what I see from many stations out west during
contests.
  If you have a 1000MP you SHOULD do the mod before the
contest.  I found that in W8JI's circuit, as long as R1 was less than
850K it worked well.  Above that value the clix increased.  And if R2
was 15K or more clix were reduced but this resistor had only a
minor effect.   73, Al K7CA