Topband: FT-1000MP Key Clicks

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 17:18:03 -0500

At 10:30 AM 1/17/02 -0700, k7ca@infowest.com wrote:
>Hi,
>  I just performed W8JI's FT1000MP key click modification on the
>transmitter going to be used at N7JW in the CQ 160 cw contest
>next week.  It worked amazingly well.  Before the mod, 1 KHz away
>from a signal reading +20 on a Ten-Tec Omni 6+ with 250 Hz filter
>the clix were S9.  After the mod they were S3!

Interesting.  I just did the same test using my TS-930 with 400 Hz filter
and my unmodified Mark 5.  At 500 Hz from the carrier frequency, clicks
were down to below S3 from 59 +20.  Acknowledging up front the
apples-and-oranges nature of the two test setups, this seems to suggest
that the stock Mark 5 may not be as bad, click-wise -- in fact, that it is
in the same ballpark as a modified MP.  Does this track with others'
(hopefully better) data?

73, Pete N4ZR

Sometimes a tower is
just a tower