Topband: ewe

Doug Waller NX4D@mpinet.net
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 12:41:38 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: by way of Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu> <n0tt1@juno.com>
To: <topband@contesting.com>
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2002 2:23 PM
Subject: Re: Topband: ewe

> I used a battery operated
> "communications receiver" connected to the transmission
> line transformer with a short length of coax and I connected the
> headphones to the radio with a long length of "bell" (twisted pair)
> wire while adjusting the terminating resistor.  If you try that,
> use a "long" length of the "bell" wire and avoid placing it directly
> under the horizontal part of the EWE....off to the side somewhere
> is best....one could also use a audio level meter and speaker,
> and view the meter with binoculars while adjusting.  One could
> also use a long length of coax and have the receiver right at the
> null adjustment site.
> 73,
> Charlie, N0TT

A Model WF-1 Remote S-meter Monitor greatly simplifies all this.
Adjust the carbon pot while using a cell or cordless phone in commo
with the WF-1 (wife) at the rig for null S-meter readings.  Ewe need
to use the final feeder coax layout to rig for this, as there will always
be some unwanted coax radiation that could further affect pattern.

"Walkin' on Thin Ice", om Doug / NX4D