Topband: Topband Takeoff Angles & ICEPAC

R. Dean Straw n6bv@arrl.org
Thu, 07 Mar 2002 09:05:24 -0800

Pete:

Thank you for the kind words concerning my elevation angle statistics from
The ARRL Antenna Book.

I am indeed skeptical of the computations for Topband. The 1.8 MHz frequency
is too close to the electron gyrofrequency. And as K9LA has pointed out in
an earlier posting, the effects of the geomagnetic field are not explicitly
taken into account in IONCAP/VOACAP/ICECAP. This doesn't affect computations
on 80 meters and above.

And yes, all versions of IONCAP have a very steep learning curve!

73, Dean, N6BV