Topband: Cone of Silence

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 9 06:02:36 EST 2003

>I am not personally
>convinced that there is really a "cone of silence", but why not use these
>lengths in case there is such a beast. My impression is that when we adjust
>the exact length of the beverage the most predominate effect is to adjust
>the phase of the signals being picked up by the vertical feeds so that they
>differ by 180 degrees.(in some direction)

> > ... do I assume rightly that the
> > COS lengths recommended do NOT include the
> > 15 to 20 meter sloping termination lengths at
> > each end?

And the only thing achieved by the sloping termination is avoiding the
necessity of using a separate guy wire to hold up the pole where the wire is
terminated.  You have the same vertical antenna component whether the wire
is sloped down gradually over a 15-20m. length or whether it is terminated
immediately with a vertical wire.

Don K4KYV