Topband: Radiation from Ends of Beverage

CHARLES HUTTON charlesh3 at msn.com
Thu Dec 18 17:49:18 EST 2003

The good Doctor Beverage addressed this issue. To see what he thought, take
a look at "The Classic Beverage Antenna Revisited" in the Jan. 82 QST. In a
nutshell, he recommends heights no greater than 10 feet for a 200 meter
antenna. However, the pattern distortion in that case is quite noticeable,
and it's past what I consider acceptable.

He does say that the contribution from the vertical downleads is less than
theory would say.

Those numbers are based on an effective height of 5 - 10%, or put another
way the sum of the Zenneck wave tilt and arrival angle yields a 5 - 10%.
Therefore your local soil constants and DX targets contribute to the overall
effect of the downleads.

Somewhere in a paper I can not recall or locate, someone did the
calculations for the effective gain of the downleads and Beverage. If anyone
can remember where I saw this, I'd appreciate a note.

Chuck