Topband: Repost: 160m balun

deuhs at earthlink.net deuhs at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 22 08:25:23 EST 2003

Thanks Tom.

We little pistols need all the help we can get.  Are there any
easy indicators that the choke is working? QSO's? :)

If I could ask another question:  I'm running the Hy-Tower with the MK-160A 'L' add-on kit.  Any idea if my entire vertical radiator works on 160 (kind of like a sideways T) or is the vertical portion up to where the 40m coil/wire addition is connected (at 24 feet).

It seems to me that it would be more efficient to run a 14 or 16 ga wire from the base of the vertical supported (insulated) by the Hy-tower as high as it will support (probably around the 45 foot level) and then out horizonally.

On another note, SWR on 160 with the current configuration is a bit under 2-1 at 1830, which makes sense. Is their a way to tune out the reactance without effecting the other bands?  I use my tuner now that is in my FT-1000MP V; but would a remote tuner at the antenna work better? (my initial thoughts are that it probalby has little impact on the overall signal, and that the loss at 160m is minimal, but I may be wrong)

Thanks,

Greg
K0PJ/9
Hy-tower vert with MK-160 add-on, 4000 feet of radials.

PS -conditions have been poor in WI this year, hopefully they will pick up soon, but its tough for signals to get
through the aurora belt.