Topband: ts870s on low band

Thomas Damboldt by way of Bill Tippett <btippett at alum.mit.edu> Thomas.Damboldt at t-online.de
Mon Dec 29 11:06:15 EST 2003

Hi topbanders,

I am using a TS-870 on topband in a very high noise urban environment (S9
in 1 kHz and AIP off) and I am quite happy with it, although I could not
compare it with other (better?) equipment.

Just want to report on my experience with the Inrad filters and PIN diode
improvement (WWW.GARANT-FUNK.DE in German). There is no strong transmitter
in my area, so actually there was no need for this improvement, but I
thought the noise problem would be a little less due to improved
selectivity and linearity. In short: there was no difference in
performance, so for this kind of application the expenditure it is not
justified. In fact there is a disadvantage which I can not explain: in the
50 Hz bandwidth very weak signals are distorted which is not the case in
the original TS-870.

73 and HNY
Thomas, DJ5DT
29. Dec. 2003