Topband: Receiving Loops

Ve6wz_Steve ve6wz at shaw.ca
Mon Dec 29 12:09:22 EST 2003

Thomas:

> in high local noise, would it be advantageous to put a small
> receiving loop on top of a tower? In my simple mind this
> would at least remove the antenna some 15 m away from the
> sources. Is that worth the effort?

Modeling shows that when a Flag RX loop is elevated close to 1/4
wavelength, a very desirable low-angle pattern develops. There are
MININEC models showing this posted at my webpage here:
http://www.qsl.net/ve6wz/FLAGindex.htm

The real problem still seems to be decoupling the TX tower from the
system so the pattern is not destroyed.
It seems likely that elevating the RX antenna further away from the
local noise would be beneficial.

de steve ve6wz.