Topband: dx window

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Tue Dec 30 18:07:38 EST 2003

W6OAR wrote:
 >I personally don't see a need for a dx window with the dx cluster spotting .

 >I have worked more Eu out of the window than in it .

 >Tune the band and look for your DX . ( FORGET THE DX WINDOW )

         Randy, I believe you have the right idea.  Having operated about
50% of my Topband life from Colorado, and having held the #6 USA DXCC
total at 238 confirmed when I left in 1993, I completely agree with
your comments (speaking as a former Westerner...yes, I know, Colorado is
not really West, it's different here in XXXXX, etc, etc, etc.)

         The problem with many newcomers to 160, is that some seem to expect
DX to be handed to them as on the higher bands.  The window concept
apparently appeals to some as a magical crutch that will somehow funnel
200 countries into their logs instantly.  I'm sorry to inform those
folks, but 160 just ain't that way, window or no window.

         Success on 160 is listening, listening and more listening, with
maybe a few CQ's now and then even if the band sounds dead.  Many, many
times in Colorado we would get openings that would skip over areas
farther East...but you needed to be listening, even on an apparently
dead band to catch them.

         You are very correct that most of the more exotic DX is NOT in the
1830-1835 area.  That is especially true in contests.  I vividly recall
many CQ 160 contests from Colorado when far more Europe was worked above
1835 than below.  Sure there might be a couple of the stronger guys
like ON4UN or G3SZA in the window, but the vast majority was NOT in
the window.  Furthermore the window in contests typically gets filled
with massive local pileups on relatively loud NA (who should NOT be
working USA per the CQ 160 rules) or SA.  The really good EU stuff  would
be covered by the simplex pileups on the louder NA/SA stations.
The real secret here is good RX antennas that will allow you to hear
DX through stronger USA stations, no matter where you are.

         Rather than worrying about DX windows, I would strongly advise
anyone seriously interested in working DX on 160 to do the following:

1.  Spend 95% of your efforts on your receiving antennas.  Those are
truly the key to success for anyone anywhere on Topband.  Alligators
generally will not succeed on 160.  All the DX windows, packet spots,
etc will not help if you cannot hear.

2.  Be prepared to listen, listen, listen.  Yes, it is often the case
that you will not hear the stuff the East Coast is working, but it is
also not unusual to have openings that DO NOT appear on East Coast
packet spots because of spotlight propagation.  Examples of this are
over the pole openings to Scandinavia or sometimes African sunrise
openings.  Persistence and perseverance are required...and BTW, be
prepared to lose a LOT of sleep.

3.  If you DO hear the East Coast working something THAT YOU CAN
ACTUALLY HEAR, don't be too proud to sign "W6" near the end of the
QSO.  I did this myself many times from Colorado and would also alert
DX if a W6 quickly dropped his call in as the DX was signing.  Timing
is everything since how you do this may tell someone whether you are
actually hearing the DX station.  These days, there are simply too many
of the "339 and a prayer" gang that actually cannot hear what they are
calling.  I am not going to be very helpful to someone who really
cannot hear and who wants an MC to bait the hook and reel in the
fish for them.  But I usually alert EU if they are actually being
heard in the West, since EU's are just as excited to work you guys as
you are!  I normally just send "QSX W6" and don't give actual calls and
certainly don't prompt (another disgusting practice from the higher
band list masters).  Of course, as you stated, it is now possible with
packet for you to let EU know directly they are being heard in W6.

         I hear you on the band often Randy.  You clearly have the right
stuff (persistence and patience) to do well.  I think you are on the
right track.  Good luck and many new ones in 2004!

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV