Topband: Using RG-6 for 160m transmission purposes

Kevin McGuirt kbm at ctog.com
Wed Jul 2 07:44:59 EDT 2003

One caveat - the RG-6 that is so plentiful and cheap these days has a
steel center-conductor with copper plating.  This does not matter at
VHF/UHF where CATV stuff is carried due to the skin effect.  However, I
have been warned against using this stuff for CCTV, where the composite
video is at a much lower frequency.  I suspect that the skin effect
doesn't kick in with 160M RF enough for this stuff to be useful, but I
could be wrong.  Also, I would be concerned about how much power RG-6
could carry.

73 & Good Luck,
Kevin
W4KBM