Topband: Orion

Tree tree at kkn.net
Sun Jul 13 11:58:44 EDT 2003

On Sun, Jul 13, 2003 at 06:25:47AM -0400, Bill Tippett wrote:

>         John, Orion's DSP will go to 100 Hz.  Funny what you said
> about the 250 Hz filter.  I seldom used the dual-250 crystal filters
> in my MP and never the audio DSP (which goes to 60 Hz).  The DSP in
> my brain likes a little wider bandwidth to work with to discriminate
> signal from noise in most conditions.

Bill's last sentence sounds like a soundbite from a talk I gave
on EME last week at the local radio club.  I use the SSB filters
when doing EME as I find it easier for my "DSP in the brain" to
discriminate the signal - even though this means the signal is
well "below" the total noise I am hearing.

This assumes that there are no other signals in the passband
other than normal "noise".

When I had a DSP here (I ended up selling it to TI2CF in '96), I
found the most useful thing that it did was allow me to hear a
weak signal answer me through the pileup I was calling in.

73 Tree N6TR
tree at kkn.net