Topband: Omni VI+ A/B Test Results

k6se at juno.com k6se at juno.com
Sun Jun 22 13:39:30 EDT 2003

I've long wanted to check the Ten-Tec Omni VI+ for diggimg weak signals
out of the noise.  I was able to finally talk a local ham (who is an avid
Ten-Tec'er) who attends our daily coffee get-togethers into bringing his
Omni VI+ over to my QTH to compare it with my FT-1000MP.  He has had the
rig for four or five years since it was new.  He is not a DXer but he is
a very active 100% CW ragchewer and a member of the FISTS club.  Today we
sat down together and did the test.

First we tried the weak signal on 160 meters.  When I switched from the
MP to the Omni VI+, his jaw dropped a mile.  He tweaked everything he
could on his radio to peak the signal as best as he could, but the MP was
clearly much better.  Best results were obtained with the Omni VI+ when
using the 250-Hz filter and the NR button turned on.

Then we tried it on the 10 meters.  His jaw dropped even more.  The
results on 10 meters were the same as on 160m.

We also compared it with some CW signals on 20 meters with the same
results.

The MP, with either the 500 or 250-Hz filters selected and without the
DSP filter and noise reduction easily won.

His Omni VI+ has both the 500 and 250 Hz xtal filters.  Although the
250-Hz filter yielded slighty better results than the 500-Hz filter, I
noticed that there was significant attenuation when the 250-Hz filter was
selected.  This is the same as I noticed with my Orion.  The MP has no
noticeable difference in attenuation when switching between the 500, 250
and 125-Hz xtal filters.

After the tests, we replaced his rig with my Elecraft K2 and compared it
with the MP.  He looked at the little radio and said he was amazed that
something that small seemed to work so well.

My friend is now seriously considering buying a used FT-1000MP or an
Elecraft K2.

Here is the updated list of receivers checked so far at K6SE, in order
from best to worst:

1)  Yaesu FT-1000MP (with INRAD mod)
1)  Elecraft K2 (tied for first place)
3)  Kenwood TS-830S
3)  Kenwood TS-870S (tied with the TS-830S)
5)  Yaesu FT-1000MP (without the INRAD mod)
6)  Yaesu FT-757
7)  Icom IC-775DSP
8)  Ten-Tec Omni VI+
9)  Icom IC-756
10) Ten-Tec Orion

I've located a Yaesu FT-1000D and an Icom IC-746 PRO locally that I hope
to test soon.  I'm still looking for an Icom 756 PRO II to test.

73, de Earl, K6SE