Topband: Broadband over power lines - IEEE Communications 2003 May

G3JAG G3JAG at patents.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Jun 23 13:40:25 EDT 2003

It is no surprise that interference concepts are foreigh to the thinking of
BPL advocates. The driving force is purely commercial, namely signing up new
customers for services that most folk need like an extra hole in the head.
In UK they are desperate to find subscribers for expensive broadband when most
users are better served by a simple pay-as-you-go dialup connection that
gives the user real control over cost. How long I will be able to get away
with paying only for a brief local phone call is anyone's guess, but its not
very profitable for the service providers or for the telecom companies.

My guess is that BPL will certainly be no cheaper than other Internet access
routes, and with a bit of luck it will cause the providers with a lot more
technical  problems than telephone, cable or satellite..

On the technical front, we already have electronic smog here from noisy
electrical installations, like the overhead pickup line for the high voltage
Manchester electric tramway with its regenerative braking ... trains every
six minutes 18 hours a day, not to mention the numerous domestic devices that
arc away for minutes at a time. No-one cares enough about those, so it will
be easy to convince the smurfs in Government that "a tiny bit more QRN does
not matter - and is'nt HF radio completely obsolete now we have gone digital
and have the Internet, mobile phones etc ???"

We face an uphill battle. Personally I am thinking about ways of using the
power line as MY 160m antenna system...... No zoning issues - the lines are
buried, but my signal should reach even more of the neighbours than the one I
annoy at present.
And that is perhaps our best shot. If BPL can be shown to seriously affect
some important public services, like medical equipment in hospitals, then
maybe someone will see sense.

John G3JAG