Topband: A/B Testing Limits - Good Stuff!

Steve Lawrence smlx at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 25 11:13:23 EDT 2003

As DXers and consumers of commercial radios, I believe that our demands
have driven the state of the art for years, especially in receiver
design. As in all commercial products, performance is always expected
to be the same (within reasonable tolerances) from one unit to the
next, right out of the box. (EG - VCR / DVD tracking; amateur
antennas.) Otherwise, the market place will deal a swift blow to the
product if not the company. So while some might question the validity
of tests on a single unit, if that one unit doesn't represent what you
might reasonably expect to get right out of the box, then what
credibility does the manufacturer's product claims have? We all love to
tweak, but the baseline, out of the box unit should always be
predictable.

That consistently good comments come from a variety of users about the
K2, TS-830, FT1000D, MP etc. and not so flattering remarks appear about
others, speaks volumes. At least to me.

There is nothing stopping anyone who believes that their radio has been
wronged from performing their own tests.

It's exactly tests and comparisons like K6SE's that, for astute
designers and manufacturers, will result in product improvements that
will benefit us all.

I, for one, look forward to Earl's continuing results.

73, Steve WB6RSE