Topband: Noise Sense Antenna for MFJ 1026 Noise Canceller

Kevin Nathan k7rx at attbi.com
Tue Mar 18 23:59:51 EST 2003

Hi all,

I am currently trying one of these from a friend who will sell it to me if
it proves up to taking care of my noise problems.  Presently I am using
about 35 feet of wire just fed out of the center connector of the auxiliary
antenna So-239 running out the window, up to a small stand off on the rain
gutter and down to a tree.  I have also gone into the 1026 and moved the
jumper to maximize the amplifier on the auxiliary antenna port.  I can get
noise to cancel alright but I usually have to reduce gain on the main
antenna to almost nothing to accomplish the cancellation.

I notice in looking on the internet that the subject of these units ahs come
up here before.  What I didn't find is any real data about what users have
found to work best as the noise antenna.  So, could some of you who have
used these devices tell me what you have found best as a noise sense
antenna?  I am tempted to get 100 to 200 feet of small wire and run it
either along and around the house or along the top of a fence line.  What I
don't know is if this would prove as effective as perhaps a short vertical
or some other kind of wire antenna elevated as much as possible.

I would really appreciate any feedback those of you who have used these
could give me.  Thanks very much and 73 to all.

Kevin, K7RX :)