Topband: TenTec Orion questions regarding SO2R suitability

Barry N1EU n1eu at hotmail.com
Thu May 8 16:29:15 EDT 2003

>From: "Eric Scace  K3NA" <eric at k3na.org>

>    Based on what I've seen so far, it seems like TenTec missed its implied
>goal: two excellent, independent receivers and one
>transmitter in a configuration that can be used as a SO2R station in a
>single box.
>
>    Am I missing something here?

Eric, Ten-Tec's stated goals for the Orion's "Instant Two Radio Mode" differ
from the goal you've read into the new radio (quoted above).  I've never
seen Ten-Tec claim that the Orion would do full SO2R, and it's been
generally known all along that both receivers would mute during xmsn.
Additionally, it was only the main receiver that they set the highest
performance goals for.  I would expect the Orion's subreceiver to perform as
well as the Yaesu FT-1KX subreceiver.

This thread probably belongs on the Ten-Tec reflector at contesting.com

73,
Barry N1EU