Topband: measuring transformer core inductance

Robert Kavanagh ve3osz at rac.ca
Fri Nov 14 12:48:18 EST 2003

Steve KK7UV wrote:

>.  My question to the group is what do you use to measure the inductance
>of the windings so you know when you reach the desired ratios?  I've had
>miserable luck doing it by formula and thought the meter would cinch it for me.

Just one point to add to what Nick and Tom have said, if by any chance the
application for your transformer has a d.c. flowing in one of the windings,
then the situation changes drastically. The inductance factors in the
Fair-Rite data are based upon the "initial permeability" of the material
and that is fine when the coils carry no d.c. If there is d.c. in a winding
the hysteresis loop of the material comes into play. The inductance is then
determined by the "incremental permeability".which is less than the
"initial permeability".

If anybody is interested in this behaviour (and a practical application)
see my article in the May/June 2003 issue of QEX.

73

Bob
VE3OSZ