Topband: remote coax switching

Richard Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Thu Nov 20 08:12:10 EST 2003

If you don't mind replacing a lightning damaged part now and
> then, you'll like Karl's approach.  Karl, has your switcher been
> exposed to
> any lightning yet?  Any damage, or unscathed?
>
> If you use solid state at the far end, a remote power supply is needed.  I
> have a 120 vac receptacle in the doghouse at the base of the tower. If you
> don't have remote power, I suppose the ac could be multiplexed with the
> multiple levels Karl is using, but that might be a real challenge.

My name is Rick, not Karl.  Anyway, we basically don't get lightning
in Galt, so I don't worry about it for the Beverages.  They are far
more likely to get eaten by critters or broken by me walking into
them, etc than struck by lightning.

I use DC not AC on the coax, BTW.  The DC is both the signaling voltage
and the power voltage.  Each relay has a dropping resistor so
it is happy with the voltage that is there when it is activated.

I antennas all over 20 acres.  Remote power is out of the question.

Rick (not Karl) N6RK