Topband: Vertical in the woods

John Kaufmann jkaufmann at alum.mit.edu
Sun Oct 12 23:12:43 EDT 2003

The new KC1XX 160m antenna system is installed in dense woods.  To get an
idea of the environment, take a look at some of the photos on the KC1XX Web
site: http://www.kc1xx.com/antennas/160_array.pdf.

We installed the system over the summer of 2002.  If you look at the contest
results for the 2002-2003 season (CQWW DX, ARRL DX, ARRL 160, and CQ 160)
you'll see that this system played extremely well relative to the
competition.  We can't give you any quantitive data about how much the trees
might be hurting, if at all, because there's no way to measure it.  However,
it can't possibly be too much based on the results we've had.

Bottom line:  you deal with whatever the environment is and do the best you
can under the circumstances.

73, John W1FV