Topband: One wavelength Beverage

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Tue Oct 14 20:20:14 EDT 2003

Hi Bob,

>I have found numerous construction sources on google to erect a 160m
Beverage but I am >confused as to the correct length for one wavelength.

Soil conditions and to a lesser extent height affect electrical length. Most
of my antennas act 10-15% longer than freespace.  Unless the antenna is
really low, a small change in height has a minor effect.

480-500 feet would act like 1wl, if that is what you want.

I'd go as long as possible, but NOT over 2WL. At 2WL or longer directivity
can actually decrease.

>If I convert it later to a two wire system, does the length change?

The only possible reason to use two wires is if you want to reverse it, and
fire backwards. Also, insulated wire is not necessary. Use whatever wire you
can get. It makes no difference in noise or anything else.

The length is the same in any case.

73 Tom