Topband: Assistance Needed

n1sv at comcast.net n1sv at comcast.net
Fri Oct 24 13:19:20 EDT 2003

I may be a little biased because of what I'm using but I would suggest an inverted-L its a good basic antenna.  The combination of vertical and horizontal components make it versatile for both DX and stateside.  Depending on the height of your trees you may find that you may be unable to get a dipole up high enough for the takeoff angle to be effective for Europe.  IMHO The loop sounds like to much work for a short term antenna.

I put up my first Inverted-L last year and I worked 87 countries.  This years version uses a vacuum variable capacitor at the feedpoint and seems to play well so far though its only been up about three weeks.  If your interested in any further details feel free to drop me a note.  I would be glad to relate my experiences.

By the way don't overlook the importance of a good recieving antenna for 160m, you can't work them if you can't hear them!

Les, N1SV

PS. Good luck to all CQWW participants this weekend and please listen for my 100w signal on topband!