Topband: impedance transformer windings

CHARLES HUTTON charlesh3 at msn.com
Tue Oct 28 00:43:38 EST 2003

Hi Steve:

One little problem is that you can't reduce things to "inductance per turn"
since that is not linear. The inductance varies as the square of the number
of turns. When I do the calculations, the numbers are 336 uH for the antenna
winding using the 4:1 rule.

That requires 6.3 turns on the antenna winding and 1.4 turns on the receiver
winding.

I'd make that with 9 and 2 turns respectively. The extra turns will help
just a tiny bit as the insertion loss with greater than 4:1 ratio will fall
maybe .05 dB. On the other hand, the high end of the passband may come in
just a little but you're way outside of a flag's frequency range that it
does not matter. The transformer is likely to be flat past 30 MHz even with
the extra turns.

Your other choice is to use a normal 73 or 77 core. You'll be better off
with the BN core even with the slight amount of "extra" turns.

Chuck