Topband: impedance transformer windings

amdx at att.net amdx at att.net
Tue Oct 28 01:07:46 EST 2003

  Hi Steve,
  Someone once decreed, "the reactance of the windings should be at least
four times the impedance the winding is designed to look into." So if you
have a 950 impedance, 4x950=3800 ohms of reactance. Using 1.8Mhz as your
minimum frequency, the inductance would need to be L = 3800 / 2 x pi x 1.8Mhz.
So L= .000336 henrys or .336mh.
  To find the number of turns the formula is N=1000(sqrt(L in mh/A sub L))
Or N=1000(sqrt(.336/8500))= 6.28 turns on the primary.
To find the number of turns on the secondary use Np/Ns = sqrt(Zp/Zs)
or Np/Ns = sqrt(950/50) = 4.36, this is the ratio of primary to secondary
turns. So Np/Ns = 4.36 or Ns = 6.28/4.36 = 1.44 turns on the secondary.

(NOTE) Np=number of turns on the primary, Ns= number of turns on the secondary
Zp=impedance of primary, Zs= impedance of secondary

 So now we have 6.28 turn pri and 1.44 turn secondary, not good,
I would try a 9 turn pri and 2 turn secondary this is a ratio of 4.5 close to
the 4.36 we calculated.
 I have used a 13 turn primary and 3 turn secondary with a gapped pot core,
I gapped the pot core to give me the desired primary reactance. This was used
mostly in the MW BCB.

                              Mike