Topband: Rohn Tower for 160/80 antenna

Dave Anderson, K4SV K4SV2 at Charter.net
Wed Sep 3 00:25:41 EDT 2003

Hi All,

Wanted to ask if the normal calculation for a 1/4 vertical applies (234/F(mhz) = Feet of antenna for 160 meters using a Rohn 25G section of tower for the radiator (125 foot)?

Second part.
If I made the bottom a 60 feet Rohn 25G tower section with 50 foot of tapered AL tubing and a small inductor to resonate all sitting on insulators, would there be a better calculation for length? Has anyone tried this? What is better?  Yeah I know, a 2 element beam for 160, but it wont fit the backyard.

Thanks in advance,

Dave, K4SV
Asheville, NC