Topband: Short Receive Antennas

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Wed Dec 8 06:38:01 EST 2004

> gain or directivity at the moment.  I have a coax loop
right now built after
> the specs of KC2TX's system and using his box to tune it
but it does not
> seem to play well here with my PT-3, even when I put in
the preamp on the
> transceiver.

I noticed KC2TX directly parallels loops tuned to different
bands. That won't work very well. As a matter of fact, the
loop for the band you are not using will seriously degrade
level from the band you are using.

Second, there is no impedance matching...only resonanting
with a cap. That's not always a good idea, although it can
work.

I'd try an EWE, Pennant, Flag, or K9AY in that order
depending on what you can put up.

73 Tom