Topband: Protecting short receive antennas and Phasers

Les Rayburn les at highnoonfilm.com
Mon Dec 13 18:36:18 EST 2004

For the second time in as many years, I fried my Quantum Phaser (I use
this to phase a beverage on the ground and an EWE against each other)
by "tuning up" into the receive antenna input on my MFJ-933.

The auto-tuner has an A-B switch to select either the transmit
antenna or the output of the phaser (receive antenna). I had
been listening to some DX, then switched frequencies. I hit
the "tune" button on the rig and watched in amazement as
it struggled to match the antenna.

Seconds passed, and I was wondering why the tuner couldn't find a match.
Then I started screaming! As feared, it had blown a bi-polar transistor
inside the unit. So I was without the phaser for the duration of
the contest.

Can someone recommend a way of protecting the receive antennas,
phasers, and transformers from accidental transmissions.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF

Les Rayburn, director
High Noon Film