Topband: WWVB reception

W2pm at aol.com W2pm at aol.com
Wed Dec 29 10:19:31 EST 2004

I am amazed that a 15.00 MFJ "Atomic clock" which has a built-in receiver for
WWVB at 60khz works here in NNJ.  Reception of the 60Khz signal was a bit
spotty in the summer depending on the location in my house, however since the
fall the signal is consistent 24 X 7.

I believe WWVB runs about 20KW but given they are over 1700 miles from here
and the difficulty my modest 160 station has on receiving 1.8 and below signals
from that far without fairly elaborate methods - what makes this cheapie MFJ
device work so well??   Has MFJ invented the ideal low band receive antenna or
is there something special about propagation that low in frequency?

73 Pete, W2PM