Topband: Conditions last night

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Thu Feb 12 12:06:27 EST 2004

> What a unique band...  I heard many stations East and west of me calling
YI
> but only heard a squeek a couple times from him. Thanks for going split
and
> trying to sort out the mess. At least we were able to try to hear through
> the QRM.

The YI9 wasn't very strong early, even when he was good at Bill's. While I
clearly heard him answer me, I missed my report on the early attempt. Later
on he answered again, and I missed my report again but this time from QRM
although I did hear him send "CFM" so I consider it a done deal.

When QRM or QSB takes out an exchange, it really is frustrating. The choice
is to sit and ask for a repeat and drag it out for everyone waiting, or just
assume it is OK. I tend to err towards the latter, and take my lumps if
things didn't work.

That was a good point Tom about split. I notice a tendency to not use split,
or use a 1kHz split. It sure would be nice if wide splits (at least out of
typical keyclick width) were used more often!

73 Tom