Topband: Tailending and Repeats

Keith Jillings keith at jillings.flyer.co.uk
Fri Feb 13 12:00:18 EST 2004

I listened on Top Band last weekend to the malarkey with a certain DX
station.   From where I sat, no gentleman was ever going to get a QSO!
  Tailenders were all I could hear working him (yes, I heard the DX too).

The other thing that wound me up was to hear the same stations working
him that worked him last night, and the night before, and the night
before that.   I suppose it's a proof of manhood, or something, that "I
can work XX *every* night".

What it means is that the polite "little pistols" never have a chance
through the tailenders and "repeat ad nauseam" big guns.

I remember Stew W1BB organising "first timer" tests.   In the days when
I had a good antenna, I worked quite a few "down in the noise" W
stations that I'd probably not have picked up otherwise.  That was
working wide split, with the Ws spread over quite a few kc/s - not in
among the keyclicks as they are now.

73 and best wishes to all on THE band

Keith
GW3OIT