Topband: dx small garden and 100w

Mike Chamberlain mike at thirdspace.tv
Fri Feb 13 11:47:18 EST 2004

Ian,

A couple of years ago I found myself in the same situation as yourself - 60
DXCC on top band - 60ft x 40 ft garden and 132ft end fed at about 40ft.  I'd
got CW DXCC on the other 8 HF bands and wanted to add 160 M DXCC.  I decided
the only way to go was up - and started playing with helium filled balloons,
and buried as much copper in the garden (and hedgerows) as possible.

I typically use a 132ft vertical but there are a number of disadvantages:

1. If it's windy you don't operate. But here in the Thames valley, I could
fly the balloon on about 40% of days at this time of year.

2. The balloons I use have a longevity of approximately 6 days and will
require topping up with gas every 2 days. BTW it costs me about 25 Euro
(close to $25) every time I fill and fly a balloon.

3.  It always seems that the best DX is around when I don't have a balloon
filled.

4.  Typically I use a quarter wave vertical - which is extremely noisy on
receive - I've really perfected noise reduction settings on the 1000-MP.  I
have an imbalanced system, frequently I find it difficult to copy stations
that are calling me and giving good reports.  Over the summer I'll
experiment with loop antennas etc for receive.

5.  I've acquired a reputation within the village for being a little weird -
grown man playing with big balloons on the end of a long piece of string in
the middle of the night...

I did buy an old Linear amp that gets me up to 400w out.  I try not to use
it when I'm calling CQ (as it just adds to the imbalance)  but it goes on
when calling DX that I can hear well to help break the pile-up.

With the excellent conditions that we have had since CQ 160 contest this
year, I've taken the country count from 92 to 109 and achieved my goal.  The
problem now is that I'm so intrigued by top band propagation that I'm going
to have to keep going.

I hope this provides a little encouragement to those who feel top band and
little gardens are incompatible.

73

Mike  G3WPH

Would be interested to hear how much success any one has had with similar
wrking condx ie: a very small garden (mine 60x20ft) and a 100W or less. I
have been qrv with a N shaped INV L squashed into this size garden.Vertical
leg is no more than 45ft Have managed to work all continents and have just
reached 70dxcc this week with A45 and YI9 in the log. I have not been
fanatical abt chasing DX(one can only take so mni disappointments) have
probably only managed abt 12 early rises. I have been qrv abt 2 winters but
am sure finding it tough at times. I think the trouble is the ant is very
directional with some directions struggling to even work europe. A45XR was
so patient in completing the contact 599/239 LOL yet wrked yi9 clean as
whistle first call (fell off my chair) Its very tough wrking east frm
western EU..... Have called KV4 and other CA stations when they have been
599 but with no luck yet at other times with different radial patterns have
managed to work PY0F FM and a was spotted in YV. We often hear about the
biggun experiences...are there many strugglers out there as this band sure
sorts the men out frm the boys. I think sometimes us smallguns cause a lot
of qrm as we spend so long in the pile ups. Spent 7-8 hours calling the A6
recently before I had success.. maybe sunspot minimum will produce a few
more miracles taking me nearer the 100countries mark
Regards Ian G0FYD