Topband: Ferrite Loop antennas

Ford Peterson ford at cmgate.com
Sat Feb 14 00:41:03 EST 2004

Here I go, coloring outside the lines again.  After experimenting with some ferrite loop sticks, my interest is peaked into making the 'mother of all loopsticks' for a rotatable topband receiving loop.

The larger the mass, the more sensitive these little devils become.  Long length must be coupled with a large diameter.  Talk about expensive!  My latest (version 5) is a collection of 120 - 5" long sticks, bundled into a mass that fits inside a 2" PVC pipe.  I got these from a guy in Lithuania.  But I want to make a bigger version.  A bigger L/D.  Much bigger!

Looking around the shop, I find a 6" x 48" stove pipe that would make a nice form factor for my monster loopstick.  I can also find a cement mixer.  So I'm thinking, why not make the material?

Having looked far and wide for recipes for ferrite, I can see that these little devils are made of a magic potion -- clearly closely guarded secret recipes.

Does anybody know of a knowledge resource for making ferrite?  What metals are used?  What concentration in the ceramic is required?

Ford-N0FP
ford at cmgate.com