Topband: 160m int L

i4jmy at iol.it i4jmy at iol.it
Tue Jan 6 17:01:43 EST 2004

Inverted L does not necessarily need a cap (a reactance) to work and to be properly matched.
It may be matched with a capacitor with when its feed-point is looking reactive (inductively), as well as it may happen with any other antenna.
If the inverted L is not quarter wave resonant, but longer, its impedance looks higher, and inductive.
At a certain lenght, and taking into account also ground losses, feed point impedance can be something like 50 – J. Putting in series a capacitor whose reactance is +J the SWR goes 1:1.
Moreover, if the capacitor is variable some adjustment is possible when the operating frequency is changed.
Note anyway that the higher impedance has nothing to do with efficiency while inverted L length may change substantially radiation patterns, as well as the energy radiated in the H and E planes.
If what you want is a medium and long distance antenna, an improvement over your dipole, I don’t suggest the inverted L is above a ¼ electrical in length.

73,
Mauri I4JMY