Topband: Real Time DSP Software

Herb Schoenbohm herbs at vitelcom.net
Thu Jan 8 10:51:04 EST 2004

Dear Topbander,

Several weeks ago I mentioned the use of various noise reduction and CW
signal processing software that  could turn the shack PC into a useful
DSP processor for the reduction of noise, static, and  QRN. After
playing  around with Cool Edit and  other noise reduction  downloads I
realized the requirement for real time software.

Thanks to Pete, N4ZR some amateur designed software (Chromasound) for
real time processing is available for a beta test at:

http://www.barberdsp.com   (It works for only 30 seconds but the
evaluation is free. Registration, if you decide you like it, is $50)

Designed by Jim Barber, N7CXI Chromasound seems to have some promise,
especially in high qrn areas and for those with older radios without
sharp filters, adjustable NB, or Notch..  I also has CW filters
adjustable down to 100 hz, an awesome carrier notch for SSB or AM, AGC
and a display.  This unit works with Soundblaster 16 bit cards or above
as well as many others.  Be sure to read the excellent documentation to
get the unit to work properly.  The delay seems to be less than a second
on a 200 Mhz Dell shack computer logger. It takes a little practice to
tune slowly for the peak signal.  It can run in the background while you
are running CT or other logging programs. Be sure to mute the "line in"
on the task bar to prevent the coupling to the output.  If you don't
have a line level output on your rig,  a "Y"  connection on you
headphone jack  will work if you pad it down a bit or keep the levels
reasonable.

Hope this information may help some topbanders in high QRN areas
(lightning and thunderstorms) or those who need to update their RX
capability. I would enjoy your comments sent to me.

73

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ