Topband: Calculating Saturation of Ferrite Cores

K8LV1 at aol.com K8LV1 at aol.com
Fri Jan 9 14:24:58 EST 2004

The postings on this subject give the false impression that this issue is too
complicated for the average person to handle himself, and suggests that those
who need the correct information consult the self-appointed experts. In fact,
the required calculations are trivial and I will show how to do it quickly
and easily.

The crux of the problem is to avoid DC biasing the core far enough up on its
BH curve to approach flux saturation, at which point the (incremental)
permeability rapidly decreases. At this point and beyond your inductor becomes a
resistor!  The objective is to keep the values of B/H well below this point.

For the ferrites commonly used in RF work, the BH curves are very narrow and
almost rectangular. The onset of saturation is very close to "clipping", and
for the most popular materials (44,73,77,43) this point may be taken as 1 Oe
(call that Hmax). For HF above 10MHZ, type 61 is usually more preferable and its
Hmax is 3Oe. This Hmax is the 'magic' number for this issue, and it is always
clearly stated in mfr. data.

Given Hmax, which will be 1Oe. almost always, the calculation of the maximum
DC bias current is simple:  I=.8 x Hmax x length(cm). The last quantity is
simply the magnetic path length, which for a toroid is equal to the mean
diameter. It is always given in mfrs. specs for most geometries. So, for a .5" toroid
(length=3cm) and 1Oe. the maximum current is simply .8 x 1 x 3=2.4A. (a/k/a
ampere-turns).

The parameters of magnetic materials are not precision quantities and are all
quite temperature/aging and process dependent compared to other materials.
Hence, it is foolish to attempt to make highly-precision calculations based on
them. In particular, the 'Hmax' value should be regarded as a (good)
approximation and one should not try to push the limit (e.g. aim for Hmax=.95Oe. by
using as many turns of wire as possible.) A good practical rule used by me and
many that I know, is to stay below 50% of Hmax. This would be .5Oe for the noted
materials. This will guarantee that your choke or coil will always be on the
lower portion of the BH curve where losses are lowest. Hence, the working rule
is simply: Imax=.5 x length(cm) A. or IOW 500ma. per cm. (For 61 material this
would be 1.5 amps/cm).

The value of length can be easily measured by eye if you don't have data
sheets. Just measure the mean diameter (half-way between the center hole and the
OD) and calculate: length=PI x diameter. Mfrs. of binocular cores typically
don't give this number, but you can easily estimate it by visualizing the core as
two side-by-side toroids with a little fill-in material. (This type of core
has no real benefit for ordinary chokes of this type and I recommend ordinary
toroids or pot-cores, but if you have 'em laying around, why not use 'em.)

The very highest frequency materials (e.g. 67 and 68) have loops that are not
nearly so rectangular, so it is not as feasible to summarize them with a
single, basic number (Hmax) as done above. For these materials, which are VERY
important at 30MHZ and above, you should consult the data sheet for each case.

73 and happy winding,
Eric von Valtier K8LV