Topband: Question from a new reflectee

Earl W Cunningham k6se at juno.com
Sat Jan 17 14:22:21 EST 2004

Doug, VA3DM wrote:

"I am thinking about starting with a well-radialled Inverted L for 160M
TX, plus a Vertical for 40 and 80M (i.e., Butternut HF2V)."
----------
The inv-L is a good idea for 160m.  Try to get the vertical section as hi
as possible and lay down a good radial ground system.

A full-size vertical (~33 feet) shouldn't be too hard to achieve.  An
inv-L for 80m might be better than the Butternut.
==========

But I have a couple of other possibilities in mind...

"The first is to string up a full-size 160M Quad Loop, using a
conveniently located line of 70 ft. trees bordering the farmer's field
immediately behind my property."
----------
You might consider a variation of the quad loop, commonly called the
"delta loop" which is a triangular version of the quad loop.   Use one
high support for the apex of the triangle and (on 160m) feed it about 145
feet down from the apex of either sloping side for vertical (low angle)
polarization.

For a quad loop, feed it in the center of either side for vertical
polarization.

You can also build a delta loop for dual-band (160m & 80m) use by
erecting a full-size 80m delta loop.  You can resonate the antenna for
use on 160m by switching in an appropriate value of inductance in series
with the bottom wire (about 50 feet from the end near the feedpoint) and
the antenna will work quite well on the lower-frequency band..
==========

"The second is to purchase and install a Titanex V160S or V80S for
multiband operation on 40/80/160M (with tuning unit). I know that the
Titanex is very $$$$ but I see that a lot of DXpeditions seem to favor
them....."
The Titanix vertical is a great portable antenna for DXpeditions, but for
much less than its cost you should be able to come up with something that
works as well or better.

Good luck on your quest for QRP DXCC on the low bands.

73, de Earl, K6SE