Topband: Egypt - SU9AM

Jim Sorenson kjsorenson at infinity.com.eg
Sun Jan 18 10:51:29 EST 2004

Gentleman,

I am currently in Egypt as SU9AM. The power limit is 100 watts and I have the usual space constraints with regard to antennas, but wish to try and work 160 meters while I'm active here.

My main station equipment consists of an IC-706, and a Harris RF-590 (with MFJ 1026 and flag). The roof of my apartment is at about 75 feet above ground, square and measures about 110 feet on the diagonal. I'm just able to fit a 80 meter inverted-V. I have a 360 degree clear shot, but being in a very densely populated area, I have a moderate to high noise level. Before I received my license I used the RF-590 to hunt non-directional beacons on LF and was able to log over 30 countries using a flag antenna. Hearing some beacons at over 5000 kms would suggest that there are nights here when the noise level is sufficiently low to operate top band with some chance of success for DX. From casual listening it would appear that Europe and most of Asia will be no problem, but I will need a major overhaul on the antenna side before I can seriously think of working any serious short or long path DX.

Another option that I have is to operate out in the desert on a portable basis where my noise level would be much lowere and where I can deploy some directional wires of sufficient length to achieve worthwhile gain.

Even given the successes of hearing LW beacons at long range, I'm concerned that perhaps my noise level is still going to seriously limit my ability to hear on top band at this QTH - I really need to do some receive antenna optimizing and more listening to find out.

Given what I've said above, I wonder if anyone out there might kindly suggest what I could do about a transmitting antenna. What are my best options? A short top loaded vertical with capacity hat would appear the best one - I could probably manage at least 45 or 50 feet of height with such an antenna. At present my flag for receiving is fixed, but I could quite easily build a rotatable one. I wonder if that would be worth the effort and how would it compare with, say, a stationary type, like a K9AY?

I apologize for the bandwidth on my first post - Hope I can manage to work some of you out there once my optimal antennas are up.

Many thanks,

Jim Sorenson

SU9AM/W3BH

No. 10 Road 252
Maadi - Digla
Cairo

419 Aderhold Road
Saxonburg, PA 16056

Home station: TR-7 and KWM-2As with 80 meter loop