Topband: 160 Meters and ARRL

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Wed Jan 21 18:53:42 EST 2004

Unless I'm missing something, the ARRL once again spit in the face of 160
operators.

Despite a majority support for a narrow mode segment on 160 in the recent RM
petition, the ARRL asked for re-farming of other bands and true to form
ignored 160. At least that is what E-Ham reports in an ARRL release.

http://www.eham.net/articles/7475

Why the ARRL constantly ignores 160 is beyond me. In the 70's, Prose Walker
told W2EQS and myself in written correspondence that 160 could be fully
returned to amateurs if there was any push at all. Needless to say there
wasn't any effort.

I wonder what it takes to get the attention of the people in an Ivory Tower?
Will they ever show any concern for 160 meters?

73 Tom