Topband: Notes on early JA to East Coast QSO's

W8LRL at aol.com W8LRL at aol.com
Thu Jan 22 04:01:55 EST 2004

 Hi John and Topbanders,

It has been interesting reading about the East Coast to JA qso's, and it
brings back fond memories of the good old days on 160!  Back in the mid 1970's, I
remember getting on in the Winter mornings With Stew, W1BB and others to try
to work  a JA.  The Loran qrm was about 20 to 30 db over S9 much of the time.
Finaly, I was able to buy a new  R4C with good filters and a noise blanker.
The noise blanker realy did wonders to lower the Loran qrm down to about S8.
After many days of trying finaly I heard something in the Loran.  After a few
QRZ, the call JA3ONB came through at 1203z on Feb. 15, 1976.  I gave Yasuo 359
and he gave me 559.  Needless to say, this was one of my all time favorite 160
qso's. I'm sad that W1BB never worked a JA on 160!

My QTH in 1976 was Shephardstown, WV which is one mile from Maryland (W3
land) and about 60 miles West of Baltimore, Md in Grid FM19. W3 land in Md/Pa
extends about 200 miles West of my qth.  The propogation from here to JA is about
the same as New York and Mass. as the path is through Canada and Alaska from
here. I'm not sure if I am considered East Coast, but if not, then I'm no more
than a mile away! HI

K2GNC, Bill was one the first stations that I worked when I came to 160 in
1972. We had many qso's, and Bill helped me alot to get set up on 160.Tonight, I
looked through my archives and found a picture of Bill at his station, and
another of his vertical. The photos are about 30 years old now, and Bill looked
to be about 55 to 60 then. It's been many years since I have heard K2GNC on
Top Band.

Due to vision problems in my one remaining eye, it is difficult for me to
focus on this screen for very long, so if, any one has replies to me, please be
brief, and I will try to get back to you as soon as possible. Hopefully in the
near future I will be able to set up a WEB site with some old and new 160
photos and info.

Thanks John and all for the interesting reading!
Good Luck And DX on Top Band to All!  73 de Wal, W8LRL