Topband: Notes on early QSO's

David Knepper cra at floodcity.net
Thu Jan 22 07:57:45 EST 2004

I worked Australia on 160 meters with an ordinary 160 meter dipole no more
than 30 feet off the ground using an old HRO-5 receiver and old Globe King
400 transmitter.  What does that qualify me for?

My former father-in-law, W3MGU,  before he passed away used to work into
Japan on 160 meters on a regular basis.  He never thought it was such a big
deal.  He has cards from all around the world on 160 meters of the DX that
he worked.  He never ran over 100 watts and his antenna was fed with open
wire feeders to two dipoles at right angles from each other.

I think that when the band is open, anything is possible.

I wouldn't think that working DX on 160 meters is such a big deal when using
"super power" - try it with  less than 100 watts and relatively simple
antenna as my father-in-law did consistently then you will have bragging
rights.

Dave, W3ST
Publisher of the Collins Journal
www.collinsra.com