Topband: 160 meter fun

Craig Clark jcclark at prexar.com
Thu Jan 22 08:38:01 EST 2004

There are two very nice parts of this thread:

#1 we are sharing and quantifying 160 history (like K1Zulu Mooloo did in
his book)

#2 it is nice to hear from old friends who I haven't spoken too in a while
due to my own marginal activity.

Here's my contribution:

With over 30 years on the band, working JA's on 160 has been right at the
top of my most exciting moments of 160 DX'ing. My log shows JA1CGM was
worked at 1212z on December 30, 1986 with a two way report of 449. I
remember running upstairs to share this event with my xyl and how exciting
it was to finally do it.............she wasn't as happy as I was
but........at least she was happy for me!  According to my notes, Ogi was
peaking on the NW Beverage and was one of several on that day I heard.

My log shows openings in 1987 on January 12, 16 and 22 with JA1GTF, JA3ONB
and JA1CGM all worked with one 559 report.

My notes show I have heard JA's almost since the end of LORAN A but was
never able to get a two-way QSO. I actually started SWL'ing on 160 in the
mid 60's before I got my ticket and heard my first Eu opening one cold dark
night in Maine in the winter of '68. Our shack was on the top of the
science building next to the observatory and I was using a 80 meter dipole
and a Hammarlund HQ-129 (I think.)

Digging back thru my nostalgia, my SSB QSO's with VK0GC in April '85 and
VU2GDG in Jan 86 are right up there with working JA. The VK0 was working
Fred (whose call I can't remember but he was a 160 stalwart DXer in the
80's) and they were signing clear as there was no one else on that morning.
I paused and called and worked him with a very nice 2x report. The VU2 was
a bit more difficult as propagation was marginal.

Topband is the only band I have ever kept track of my DXCC totals. Since I
went in to business for myself in 1991, I have been less active and have
lost track of my count. Those late nights and early mornings are also
harder as kids grow in to teenagers and we age. But that changes too and
one is off to college next year and the other one will graduate high school
in 2005.

This has been fun and thanks Bill for letting us "share." Amateur Radio is
not dead. It's alive and well on topband!

73, Craig Clark, K1QX

RADIOWARE AND RADIO BOOKSTORE
PO  BOX 209
RINDGE NH 03461