Topband: 160 Meters and ARRL

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 23 00:11:51 EST 2004

>Why the ARRL constantly ignores 160 is beyond me. In the 70's, Prose Walker
>told W2EQS and myself in written correspondence that 160 could be fully
>returned to amateurs if there was any push at all. Needless to say there
>wasn't any effort.

160 STILL hasn't been fully restored to amateurs.  During the 30's the band
allocation was 1715-2000.  Briefly, before WW2 (I'm not sure amateurs ever
actually got to use it before the war shutdown) 1715-1750 was deleted from
the amateur spectrum, but 2000-2050 was added, giving a 300 kHz wide band,
1750-2050.

I remember back in the 60's when all we had 1800-1825 with 200w daytime/50w
nighttime power limit, and the west coast had 1975-2000.  Gulf Coast states
were not allowed to use the band at all. QST and other ham rags were full of
ads boasting of "all-band" 80-10m transmitters and receivers.  A few hardy
souls kept what little was left of the band active, so that interest didn't
die out completely.

Don K4KYV