Topband: Key Clicks Observation From Weekend

Bill Fisher, W4AN w4an at contesting.com
Mon Jan 26 21:08:39 EST 2004

Hi guys.  I was the guy pushing buttons at W8JI.  I've operated from Tom's
place the past five years in this contest.  It was very apparent to me that
people are fixing their radios.  For the most part, my frequency was not
getting thumped by the guy above me or the guy below me.  What was really
telling was when someone would call one of these guys who obviously didn't
fix their radio, and who would thump my frequency for the short time it took
for them to complete a QSO.

Whenever I've come across someone with key clicks, I try to tell them in a
matter of fact way.  Not accusatory.  This has almost always resulted in a
"spirit of ham radio" reaction to fix the problem.   I have run in to a few
who either ignore me, or in the case of W1MK... who believes that if the FCC
has not identified his radio as being problematic or the manufacturer has
"not issued a recall", then he feels he has no responsibility to fix it.  I
personally feel that is unbelievably irresponsible of him.  Luckily, he has
been the exception.

73

Bill Fisher